Welcome back! This show is all about touching base with creative leaders in the church culture, and that is exactly why I have a trailblazer like Darren Wilson here with me today.
Here at Are You Real, we believe that a deep and fulfilling life only happens when we are linked to the Holy Spirit and to one another. Over the past few weeks, we have taken a deep look at a passage from Luke 10 to show us what it could look like for the church if we were empowered by the Holy Spirit.
Starting a church is a huge responsibility. How do you know if you are called to lead a church, let alone a brand new one? If you are a young person who is feeling called, how can you plant a church with no money? If these questions seem too big, just wait. We have a lot of good things in store for you!
In last week’s episode, we talked about all the ways you can live out your authentic faith by starting a business. Today, we are taking it to the next level by discussing all the ways you can transform your business.
Today I am excited to bring you a success story all about hard work, second chances, and the opportunity to build a legacy. I’m chatting with Javier Flores today, who is leading the way for success through education. However, the educational system wasn’t so kind to him when he was a student.
Javier’s first disadvantage was that he was a 1st Generation college student, the youngest of four in a family that struggled to make ends meet. Despite that, he now holds a Masters and Doctorate degree in Education. You would think with so many degrees that Javier was always a star student, but that wasn’t the case! Javier failed school and was academically suspended. Because a leader gave him a second chance, Javier was able to prove to himself and others that he had what it takes to succeed.
Now, Javier is on a mission to influence education and change the narrative for students like him. He is doing that on the campus of Angelo State University by creating a student-first environment. Of the many programs for students he has started, his First-Year Camp is one of the most successful. ASU is now more affordable and accessible for 1st Generation college students. As Javier likes to say, a degree doesn’t just change your life—it can pave the way for success for generations to come.
Download a FREE audiobook today from Audible.com
I am excited for you to hear all about Javier’s difficult beginning. If you are feeling overwhelmed by your circumstances or unsure if you should continue on, this episode will speak to you. It is never too late to try again. Javier is proof of that!
- Javier shares how he is setting first-year students up for success at Angelo State University.
- College degrees can change your entire family. Javier is trying to make that happen for so many families.
- Balance is important to achieve success.
- Look at problems as a creator.
- Javier looks back at his childhood in poverty and celebrates the character the parents built up in him.
- How Javier is reaching out to kids like him.
- Intuition and brokering in relationships are the skills that unlock Javier’s success.
- Communication skills that you can use to lead your team.
- Be aware that you always have a team behind you.
- It’s never too late to go back to school!