Creatives 06: Jon Egan and Jesus Culture – Make A Way
Sometimes, God gives his followers a talent for the creative arts, and so they are called to ministry through the art that they create. Other times, the calling comes first, and the skills follow. This is exactly what happened to Jon Egan, this week’s guest on Are You Real: Creative. Jon had a knack for the drums, but he didn’t know he would lead and write worship music until later in life. God’s call was crystal clear, and Jon listened faithfully. God would continue to ask Jon to be faithful, even in the midst of some truly tragic and difficult circumstances.
These days, Jon is leading worship at New Life Church and writing songs with people like Desperation Band and Jesus Culture. You’ve probably heard a lot of Jon’s songs, but today we wanted to hone in on “Make a Way.” This song was a response to scandals, shame, and fear that Jon was facing in his church. Through it all, God made a way for Jon to continue to make music. He makes things happen so that our relationship with Him and with others runs deep. If you’ve been experiencing a real struggle in your life lately, you need to listen to this episode!
Jon is not just going to reflect on his own experiences, but also on his experiences with the Christian music industry in general. The music industry can be a monster, but it is also reaching millions of ears. How can older musicians expect to keep up with the pace of the industry? What do musicians need to keep in mind if they want to make it big? Do they even want to make it big? We will dive into all of these topics and much more in our next incredible podcast installment. When you get a guy like Jon Egan with you, you know you are going to learn so much. Join us to learn and experience God in his fullness today!
“I lead the way I lead because God can do anything at any moment.”
More in this episode:
- Jon shares his history at New Life Church and how he discovered his calling to be a worship leader.
- Jon learned music because God called him to worship leading.
- Learning about God’s strength from struggles, sacrifice, and scandals.
- Songs were written out of a desperation for God to move and the Scripture around them at the time.
- How Jon, as a pastor, communicates the humility of praise through pain.
- We are continuing to repeat the mistakes of our faith founders.
- How “Make a Way” came to be, and why it was such a special song.
- Jon feel that we need to talk about the Christian Music industry honestly.
- God can use you outside of a massive platform in a powerful way.
- Church music is transforming, and we need older musicians to stand up and stay involved.
Download a FREE audio book today with Audible
On Twitter and Instagram