Creatives 04: Life of a Nashville Producer with Chris Clayton
When it comes to making music, there is so much happening behind the scenes that the general population has no idea about. Behind Christian music production are faithful, talented people producing, writing, and mentoring the artists we see on the stage. It is my goal to bring to you every perspective on creativity, from the people in the front to those behind the booth. Chris Clayton is an acclaimed songwriter, artists, and producer based out of Nashville. His perspective on the music industry, mentoring artists, and the music community at large simply cannot be missed.
Download a FREE audiobook today from Are You Real at audible.com
Chris has always bloomed wherever the Lord has planted him. Growing up in the church as a PK (Pastor’s Kid,) Chris was exposed to the powerful force that is an interpersonal ministry. He still enjoys putting on his pastor hat every now and then, but God has gifted him with a passion for music, and he intends to use it. Chris has done just about every job in the industry. He has recorded incredible music, written beautiful worship songs, and now his interest lies in developing new artists from the production booth. Today, he is going to give us a unique perspective on the production versus the recording industry.
What makes Chris’ story and perspective so unique is that he never quite set out to launch into the music industry. Instead, he followed where God opened doors. People called on him to lead worship. Artists asked for him to write songs. Ultimately, everything Chris does is to support and nurture the music community to spread its nets wide. He encourages anyone with an interest or a passion to jump in and help wherever they can! Together, artists are stronger, and God’s message can be spread far and wide.
“Don’t wait for the opportunity; create the opportunity.”
More in this episode:
- Chris grew up in church culture as a PK (Pastor’s Kid.)
- How Chris got into music from an early age.
- Music felt like a calling, but he always had a difficult time finding his place in the world.
- An email to David Parker changed Chris’ life.
- Being a songwriter with a publishing deal always felt like an excellent opportunity.
- The difference between publishing v. recording.
- Publishing helps you get established and get your songs out there!
- What it is about songwriting and production that is so interesting to Chris as an artist.
- Producing music is a form of ministry.
- This newest phase of Chris’ career is to develop and seek out artists he connects with.
- The process of making music is as unique as the artists who write the music!
- We really can help one another along the way.
Instagram and Twitter @sixarrowsmusic
Church House on iTunes, Spotify
Connect with me @DietzOfficial