66: Questions Theologians Aren’t Answering for You with Dr. Mike Heiser
Do you have many theological questions that nobody seems to be answering for you? You’re not alone. Mike Heiser, our special guest today, has met many people who have questions that pastors and theologians don’t have the answers to, or simply don’t have the time to explain. Tune into today’s episode of Are You Real to hear some of those questions and finally get some answers.
Mike earned his PhD in Hebrew Bible and Semitic Languages at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Before going to the UW-Madison, Mike earned an M.A. in Ancient History from the University of Pennsylvania (major fields were Ancient Israel and Egyptology), and another M.A. from the University of Wisconsin-Madison (Hebrew Studies). He also attended Dallas Theological Seminary. Mike’s undergraduate degree is from Bob Jones University, but he also attended Bible college for three years.
Mike has an active ministry to people whose worldview is molded by occult, paranormal, and esoteric beliefs. He observed that many who have adopted “alternative” worldviews were formerly traditional theists and Christians who left the faith when their questions on difficult passages and topics went unanswered, or when spiritual leaders failed to address experiences they had had. Mike seeks to fill these gaps as a Christian scholar and has become well known in these circles through writing, speaking, and numerous radio appearances.
What you’ll hear in this episode:
- A little bit about Mike Heiser and his past
- When Mike really started to understand the Bible and what it says
- The first thing Mike taught that offended people
- How mythology and pop culture ties into the Bible and Mike’s book “Supernatural”
- Why are there so many “bad things” in our world?
- What God’s “unseen hand” does
- What is the “spiritual battle”?
- What Mike would tell his younger self and why